Tuesday, January 3, 2017

New Years Resolutions...

It's a brand new year!  And my husband and I always have the same conversations.  Are you making any New Year's Resolutions?  What is so funny this year, is that January 1st was on a Sunday, so as usual we went to church.  DH works with the kids one Sunday a month, and this was his week...so I sat by myself.  I wish he could have heard the sermon, because it was about optimists and pessimists.  Optimists make resolutions and work to stick to them, thinking this year will be a better year.  Pessimists do not make resolutions because they feel they will only break them so what's the use?  I never really thought about it before, but I guess in the long run, I'm an optimist...and my Dear Husband is a pessimist.  After 32 years of marriage you would have thought I would have figured this out before...but now some things make a LOT of sense...*giggling*.

I have made some resolutions this year.  I'm not going to spell them all out here, just a few that I don't mind making public...hahaha.  First is I'm going to "unplug" a little bit.  No electronics at the table.  This means even if I'm having a meal by myself.  No TV, no computer, and no phone at the table.  I want to have conversations with my family if we are together.  If not, I want time to reflect on things. 

I'm going to stitch from stash.  I have many things kitted up, but I'm not going to start anything new (except my New Year start, which I do every year) until I finish a WIP.  I'm only going to buy floss or other fibers if I need it to finish something up.  I'm going to finish smaller things when I am done stitching them.  I am going to start a rotation of UFOs, meaning I will stitch on a project for an entire month (unless I finish it within that month) and at the end, rotate if I'm not finished.  I sincerely hope to finish up some projects I have floating around that have somehow gotten me bogged down.  I've joined a FB group called Stitching from Stash Only to help me keep focused on this goal.  I'm counting on my pal, Cindy, to keep me in line!

I am going to take a little time each week to sort though, organize and clean up my stash.  This means that when I'm finished with a project and I no longer need the pattern, I will be having a give away...so watch this space.  And if you see something you would like to have, you can urge me on to get it finished, so you can try and "win" the pattern!  This way we both win!

With all that being said, I did start something new...Leave a Light On by Teresa Layman Designs.  I found this in the fall, and it was a birthday gift from my husband when we took our trip through Pennsylvania and ended in Ocean City.  It was a model on the wall at The Strawberry Sampler...and if you know me at all you know I love lighthouses.  It's been kitted up waiting for New Year's Day....and here is what I've done so far.  It is stitched on 28 count Navy using one strand of floss over one thread.  So far I love it!!  It's very hard to put down.

I've also been working on a UFO.  This was a New Year's project two years ago (has it been that long already??)  This is Aurora Cabin.  I will post the starting point and the current point.  I'm going to try and stitch a little bit on both each day, even if it's only one length of thread.  This piece has a lot of meaning for me, as my DH bought it for me on our Alaskan cruise, the one we took for our 30th anniversary.  I really want to finish it and frame it this year.  I do have one question, it calls for a LOT of French knots in the sky to represent stars....I don't mind doing them, but I'm afraid it will take away from the darkness of the sky showing the Northern Lights....what do you think?  Should I do them, or leave them off?


I am participating in a couple of challenges this year.  One is WIPocalypse 2017....trying to finish 17 WIPs in 2017.  I have a list on my goals page, but it may change during the year.  I still hope to finish 17, but I may change which ones I'm working on.  

I'm going to participate in the Gifted Gorgeousness challenge again this year.  I have done this the past two years, and have really enjoyed working on gifted projects as well as a reminder to post at least once a month.  It's been good for me in many ways, and I thank Jo for hosting this each year.

I also signed up for the Smalls Challenge.  I am participating in a Round Robin, which we are stitching smalls for each other, and I hope they ones that are returned to me and finished will count as part of that challenge.  I'm also going to participate in some exchanges, so we will see where this will lead me.  

And that, as they say, is that!  I'm counting on you all for encouraging me in my goals, if you wouldn't mind.  And remember, there will be some giveaways this year, so don't forget to stop back in!   Happy Stitching everybody!  And Happy New Year!

 

6 comments:

Cindy said...

I will do my best to keep you focused on your goal of stitching from stash Deb. I love the new start.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I love the lighthouse design you are stitching. The navy fabric makes a great impact. You have plenty of plans for 2017. I hope you meet most of them, if not all of them.

Maggie said...

I like your thinking :-)
I too want to stitch more from the charts i already have, i don't have many already kitted up but i do have quite a few charts that i've looked through and thought yes, i want to stitch that.

Happy new year to you and yours, and good luck with the resolutions

Astrids dragon said...

Love the lighthouse, that does look like a fun stitch!
Your Aurora Cabin looks like the cabin we saw in Alaska, minus the Lights. It looks fabulous, get it done! Not sure about the stars, maybe a few?

Justine said...

What a sweet new start but for me Aurora Cabin is my favourite. I see this one in my future! Can you try laying beads on the sky and see if you like the effect before you start adding French knots?

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great resolutions for the year. We are doing so many of the same SALs this year it will be fun keeping up with each other.
I love the new start, Katie from Jeremiah's Mom is really into lighthouses too.
I wouldn't do all the French Knots, I don't think they go with the style of the design. But that's just me!