Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mid week memories...

I guess it's time I checked in with you folks! Sorry I've been quiet for so long, it's been a hectic week as you can imagine!!

First, let me say, surgery went very well, I think. I'm not really sure, because I had the best sleep I've had in ages! I was in the recovery room twice as long as expected, but I woke up feeling a little groggy but so rested! I really needed that sleep!! Every health professional that has seen me has said I've been doing remarkably well, I'm not sure if they are just being nice or they really mean it. I have to say I have much more use of my arms than I expected and yes cross stitch fans out there I have been stitching since Monday!! You can't keep a good cross stitcher down!! LOL

The hospital I stayed in was AWESOME! The nurses were fantastic, the food was great (did I really write that about hospital food???), the bed they had me sleeping in was so comfortable I almost asked them if I could take it home with me. I've never felt anything so comfortable, and throughout the night (while I slept in ONE position, I don't think I moved a muscle all night) the bed kept moving underneath me to relieve any pressure points. I HAD to sleep on my back, and usually that bothers the small of my back, but this bed adjusted underneath me at intervals to help prevent me from having to move. It was great!

Those of you unfamiliar with this type of surgery may not know that they insert drains to help drain away fluids that accumulate under the skin while your body attempts to heal. I had 4 drains until my first visit with the plastic surgeon last Wed when he removed two of them. What a relief to have them gone!! He promised the other two would be removed next Wed. They always seem to be in the way so I'll be happy to have them removed. They require quite a bit of care and I'm sure my live-in nurse (DH) will be happy to see them go!! Though I must say, he has my drainage system working like clockwork. When I think of all the things he's had to help me through over the years, and I'm sure this ranks up there with the yuckiest of jobs, he's been the most courageous of the two of us. His kindness, compassion, strength and whacky sense of humor has helped me in ways unimaginable. Thanks Honey!! I couldn't have done any of this without you!!

Yesterday was one of the best days so far in my recovery. I've had folks stopping by with "drive by drop offs" of food and supplies. Thanks Sonya for being my stash enhancer supplier. She works at my LNS and has been supplying my fix by hand delivering the stash she knows I HAVE to HAVE! I've had some flowers delivered (Thanks Chris, Mom, Donna and Joe) and when I get a chance I'll post pictures. Babs sent me the most beautiful pin pillow with the saying "This too shall pass". You may not know this Babs, but I have a habit of saying that myself. It was the perfect phrase and in the most beautiful colors. Your stitching is AMAZING! I placed it in my china cabinet to keep it clean, but also in a place where I'll see it often during the day to remind me that this journey I'm on is only temporary and one day this will all be behind me! She also sent along a limited edition Lizzie Kate scissor fob kit, some note cards, and such an encouraging card. You really made my day, Babs! My coworker from work showed up with a bag full of up-beat romantic and hilariously funny videos. So between visits from my home health nurse, and the support group meeting last night, Christina and I sat on my bed and laughed til we hurt over nonsense and inside jokes about work. I think that had to be some of the best "medicine" I've received so far in my recovery. Then Sonya showed up with even MORE stash, but also sad news that she had to put her beloved Sophie to sleep that morning. Sophie her feline fur baby had been a big part of her family for 20 years and she's been slowly slipping away for a little while now. I know she's going to leave a huge hole in your heart, Sonya, just know I'm praying for you and thinking of you constantly. I can't believe, after the day you had, that you would still come to take me to the support group meeting...you are my rock!!

The support group meeting last night was one of the best so far. I wish all of you could meet these phenomenal women. I am awed by their courage and encouraged by their progress. Everyone is in a different stage of their recovery, and I've seen them at their worst, and I've seen them improve and looking great. I can't begin to tell you how encouraging it is to see them come to the group meeting no matter how they are feeling or looking (some of them sport some really interesting head gear and I find myself wondering where they find them because I'm thinking of picking up a few LOL) and I know as I look around the room at these courageous ladies that I can DO this, I CAN overcome this and I'm going to come out the other side with experiences that will change how I view the world. Is it ok to thank God for cancer? I mean I don't believe he zapped me on purpose, but I do believe he is allowing this experience to change who I'm going to be when this is over. I also know He hasn't left my side since all of this began so Thank you God! In all of this, I hope my actions will glorify You!

I have more news as I heard the pathology report yesterday. I don't know what everything means yet, so will wait until I do to post more about that. I have an appointment today and once I talk to my family, I'll fill you in on the rest. Thanks for "listening" to me and I hope this encourages you to face whatever you are facing today. This too shall pass!

*Hugs*

8 comments:

Babs in Alabama said...

Hi DJ! what a post! I tried to comment earlier but forgot my new password. You sound great and yes, it's ok to thank God for cancer. It's then that we draw near to Him and learn more of Him. I've always thanked him for my condition..it's a reminder of His grace to me. God bless you through your recovery and all that comes next.
hugs,
babs

Hillery said...

Glad to hear you're doing well.

Carolyn NC said...

Glad that recovery is going well and that you have such great support around you. Will be praying for you - take care.

nutmegg said...

So good to see your doing well DJ,take care....xoxoxoxo

Pete's Pixie said...

Oh lovey - thinking of you daily and hanging on in there with you!!! Big gentle hugs, Ally xxx

Charlene ♥ NC said...

What an optimistic report! You, my dear, are the encouragement!! Glad to hear you are doing well, and may your recovery continue to be swift. Hugs!!

Unknown said...

Good to hear you are getting better.
Hugs.
I will be praying for you.

MysteryKnitter said...

I am happy the surgery went well and that your friends have been there for you, the same as your DH.